Saturday, August 1, 2015

Back to School Blog Hop!


Very excited to team up with some wonderful women to bring you a Back to School Blog Hop!


I'm here to talk to you about the glorious gemstone that is an Amazon Wish List.

Hear me out. It's honestly one of the best impulse decisions I ever made.

But first, I'll show you how to make one.

Once you're logged into your Amazon Account, click the "Create a Wish List" under the "Wish List" button. You'll be invited to name it and all that good stuff. 

That way, when you find something you like for your classroom, all you have to do is add it to your Wish List for future reference.
Notice that handy "Add to Wish List" button on the right.

Now before you're all like, "Oh gee thanks, Haley. Creating a Wish List. What a NOVEL Back to School Idea," hang in there.

You could just keep this as a running list of things you'd like for teaching so that whenever a delightful Amazon or Visa gift card comes into your possession.

Which is great. I totally do that.

I have two lists: Books to Teach and Supplies We're Wanting. I've included the links to my actual lists in case you want a thrilling few minutes of seeing the books I want for Reading Workshop, games for Indoor Recess, as well as the Keurig K-Cups I drink. 

Before you laugh about the K-Cups, know that around Christmas Break a mom sent in a gallon baggie full of K-Cup flavors she had sitting around and didn't like, simply because she saw on my list that I like those nifty little cups. Glorious.


















Anyway.

I highly recommend breaking your Wish List into these two categories because I use my lists for two purposes.

One, my Books list is a running record of solid books I've seen on blogs and Pinterest and Literacy for Big Kids so that way when I have new Scholastic points or a Barnes and Noble Gift Card, I know quality titles to search. 
Also, parents especially like when they can grab a book title I'm wanting through Amazon's used books. Often times books are just a penny before shipping (as seen above). 

Two, my Supplies list is a continuous, updated list of things we're wanting that my families with computers can always access. My families loved to be involved in the classroom and in their student's education, and this is an easy way that my busy and working parents can contribute. Amazon lets me list items, why I want them, how many I'm hoping to acquire, and their level of need in our room. 

It's pretty fantastic.

Plus, many times families will have a gently used version of a book or game I'm seeking, and I let it be known that we happily give those items a new home!



I communicate these lists through my school blog (as seen above) by creating a Donate to our Classroom! page. I also keep my Wish List link, as well as my school blog link, at the very end of all my emails. 

I also send home a paper copy detailing the link and what my Amazon Wish List is. I've included a template below as a freebie and a sincere thank you for reading through my rambling.


Download it here or by clicking the picture above. The downloaded file has two versions of this template.

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I hope you consider utilizing Amazon's wonderful tool for your classroom. :)

Visit me on Instagram for my freebies, ideas...and possibly quite a few pictures of food. No shame.

Now Hop on over to Deniece's PRECIOUS blog, This Little Piggy Reads!



a Rafflecopter giveaway

5 comments:

  1. What a great organizational idea! I'm going to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! Love this to help parents know how they can help. Thanks!

    Nichole
    The Craft of Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a new tip that I hadn't seen before and I love it! I have an Amazon wishlist for school, but haven't ever shared ti with parents. I know I'll have sweet parents who will want to donate, so what a great idea to involve them! I also want to say that I love the voice you use in your writing. :)
    Tammy
    Literacy Loves Company

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely have an Amazon Wish List, but I've never thought about sharing it with my parents - great idea!

    ReplyDelete